Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Let's give the poor man a break...

Most of America have viewed the video of Former President Bill Clinton dozing during a Martin Luther King event. But in case you haven't viewed it (or want to view it again for giggles), I have conveniently placed it here for ya:




And with this, I want to talk about speeches in general. I enjoy listening to a good motivating speech as much as the next guy. It inspires me, moves me and gives me the initiative to continue paying forward good deeds. But let's discuss something that is NEVER brought up about speeches. Physical discomfort.

Think about it. Most of the time, events of this nature (like the one in the video) are held in large venues. And MOST of the time, we're sitting in a small hard seat and squished between two other guests (except for Billy there...he had a primo seat). Most of the time, there are hundreds of people listening to this speech....all breathing at the same time and using up all the carbon dioxide in the building! Most of the time, we are wearing darned uncomfortable clothes and shoes cuz it's a dressy situation and we gotta look cute, right? And MOST OF THE TIME, it's darned HOT in there! AND I repeat, everybody breathing at the same time. I'm ready to curl up just talking about it!

I don't know about you, but...no matter how great the speech, if it has gone on any longer than 14 minutes and 30 seconds, my body breaks down into a mass of Alpo and I'm ready for a 3 day nap. Seriously.

Anyhoo, I watched the Billy video several times. I turned the volume way up...hoping I could catch him snoring. Anyway, this is how I see it. Besides having that tie around his neck cutting off the oxygen to his brain and those hot tv lights in his face, he was probably kicking himself for staying up to watch Conan the night before. Therefore, his poor ole body gave out. And there ya go. A logical explanation of why Billy needed to recharge. So I say we need to give the poor man a little break here.

And to my boss John...if you are reading this, I hope you understand my explanation and will forgive me for my behavior at our staff meetings.



For the record, I do not snore! I just have sinus issues.

0 comments: